Sunday, July 08, 2007

Hey Teacher, Leave the kids alone!

Teachers are a rare entity to be loved especially by me. I have all my life been a teacher’s headache; I was the reason for her Disprins. They loved me they hated me some even loved to hate me but in my entire schooling career I was never ignored. Nobody could. Things may be a little different in college here just the other day I was thinking if teachers had served any meaningful purpose in my life except being an object of my mockery and contempt. I finally came up with a list of 4 teachers who DID made a difference in my life and whom I still remember and adore.

Roy Solomon Sir: He was my history teacher in class 9th but I was in contact with him till my class 12th. He was more of a friend to me than a teacher. He had an incredible sense of humor and his talks were deeper only if you could listen carefully. It was a bit of a surprise to me when he met me at examination center of an engineering entrance exam and treated me the same way he always did: by hitting hardly on my back.

McFarland Sir: There has never been anybody like him and never will anybody be like him. He was my English teacher in class 10th. He is currently one of the most loved teachers of the city. I never could outwit him neither could I guess the amount of mammoth knowledge he had. An absolutely incredible communication skill was not the only reason he was so popular he really really listened to you when you spoke. No wonder everyday after class there were always a bunch of kids discussing all their life’s problems with him.

Brijesh Sir: He was my mathematics teacher in class 9th I don’t particularly like math’s teachers but I would here make an exception. Mr. Brijesh was held in awe and respect by all of us. He knew everything about everything he knew why in school we had 2 generators, why was the grass in lawn of particular length, why were our periods of particular duration, why we had earthquakes, why we had mucous membranes in our nose………. Get an idea. Once our English teacher asked us to mimic other teachers. I presented perfect mimicry of Brijesh Sir later to which he remarked “Parv, bahut acchi acting kar lete hai aap…….. It seems to me you are a very good observer.” The best compliment I’ve ever received.

Bhoomika Ma’am: She was my class teacher in class 5th and the amazing thing was that I was as tall as her. Bhoomika ma’am back then when I was still a small kid trusted me. The word TRUST was known to me but it was because of her I came to know what it felt like to be trusted. She gave me enough responsibility and somehow because of her I was such a responsible kid. Sadly I never met her again after she left the school.

No comments: